Mistä pelistä? Jollet tiedä, älä googlaa.

Strive for your next breath. Believe that with it you can do more than with the last one. Use your breath to power your capacities: capacity to kill, to maim, to destroy.

And just where do your capacities come from? Why do you always go where I want and do what I say?

Perhaps you're just running a fool's errand, doing everything as I've planned, never able to change your course. You would do well to believe that I know the outcome of your battle with the Pfhor already, just as I can decipher the chaotic motion of gas molecules in the clouds of Tau Ceti IV.

Or, perhaps, that is not the case.

Perhaps, you are doing what you were meant to do. Your human mentality screams for vengeance and thrives on the violence that you say you can hardly endure. Your father told you as a child to always fight with honor, but to always fight. Do you care about honor, or do you use honor as an excuse? An excuse to exist in a violent world.

Organic beings are constantly fighting for life. Every breath, every motion brings you one instant closer to your death. With that kind of heritage and destiny, how can you deny yourself? How can you expect yourself to give up violence?

It is your nature.

Do you feel free?

You should go to this location and retrieve a device that the S'pht have provided for us. It will allow you to slay more Pfhor. Does that make you happy?

***END OF MESSAGE***

Tämän pelisarjan ensimmäinen osa ilmestyi vuonna 1994 eli vuoden Doomin jälkeen. Se oli kilpailijaansa kehittyneempi teknisesti ja juonellisesti, mutta siitä ei tullut samanlaista hittiä, koska se julkaistiin "väärälle" alustalle. Kakkososasta tehtiin myös PC-versio, mutta sitä pidettiin vain yhtenä Doomin innoittamana räiskintäpelinä varsin monen muun tekeleen joukossa. Kolmas osa oli järjestysnumeroltaan ∞, joten sarjan ilmeisesti oletettiin päättyvän siihen. Siihen viitataan usein saman firman paljon menestyksekkäämmässä pelisarjassa.

Enpä ole koskaan pelannut näitä alkuosia kuin kakkosen demoa joskus, mutta veikkaan että kyseessä on Marathon.
Sen jatko-osatrilogia on tietysti merkittävästi tunnetumpi ja kantaa nimeä Halo.

Sepä juuri on kyseessä. Lainaus on luultavasti juuri kakkososasta, jossa pelaajan epätoivoa kasvatetaan antamalla hänen ymmärtää, että hän on seonneen tekoälyn käsikassara.

Vuoro Novalle.

Ei, ollaan aika lailla synkemmissä maisemissa.

"One thing you could count on: You push a man too far and sooner or later he'd start pushing back."

Kaappaan vuoron.

-I know much things. Gar tell all. Politics. Mathematics. Tea.
-Mathematics? Tell me, what is 4573200 divided by 6543?
-Gar not genius. Gar smarter than other orcs. Not smarter than professor of mathematics. I know 25 x 40 equals 1000. No other orc tell you that.

Wowiin en ole koskenut kolmen metrin seipäälläkään. Ihan pelintekijän luomasta dialogista on kyse.

Suuri osa pelin dialogista on riippuvaista hahmosta. Seuraava sitaatti on peräisin yksinkertaisen mutta vetovoimaisen naishahmon seikkailuista:

NPC: My fortune has increased by making your acquaintance!
PC: Me not smart.
NPC: Egads! It would seem this dear woman is mentally retarded!

Madam Lil: Hello X. It is good to see you again. What can I do for you?
X: My tastes are a little unusual. Have you anything else?
Madam Lil: Well, for 25 coin, we have a little something to satisfy our more deviant clientele, Belle, our sheep.
X: Uh... No, that's not what I meant...

Eikö Belle-lammaskaan soita kenelläkään kelloja? No otetaan seuraavaksi lainaus, jossa paljastetaan eräs tärkeä paikannimi.

Constable Owens: The whole town owes you thanks for helping to protect our bank, sir.
X: Hello again, constable... a pleasure. Have you a moment?
Constable Owens: Certainly.
X: I've got some questions.
Constable Owens: Of course, go ahead.
X: Could you tell me where Tarant is?

Annetaan vinkiksi, että kyseessä oleva luomus on Troika Gamesin ensipeli vuosituhannen vaihteesta. Ja sitten taas lisää dialogia, tällä kertaa aivan pelin alusta:

Virgil: I can't belive it...! I mean, you... And then the zeppelin...! And the fire...! And the altar says that...! Do you have any idea what all of this means?
X: By the gods, man! I almost died here! Didn't you see the crash?

Aivan oikein! Jos tänäänkään ei olisi tullut oikeaa vastausta, olisin huomenna laittanut lainauksen, jossa mainitaan kahdesti sana Arcanum ;) Kyseessä on tosiaan loistava falloutmainen peli, jossa riittää tutkittavaa pitkäksi aikaa. Suosittelen lämpimästi kaikille seikkailuroolipelien ystäville.

Ja Nova jatkaa arvuuttelua.