Mistä pelistä? Jollet tiedä, älä googlaa.

Vampirelady luovuttaa vuoron nopeimmalle, koska on arvuutellut jo aika paljon tällä viikolla.;)

Nainen: "Good morning! Your phone's been ringing off the hook all morning. Let me know when you want your messages."
Mies: "Gah..."
Nainen: "Gee, you're lively today! Did you have another nightmare last night?"
Mies: "Sort of..."
Nainen: "Uhum... I told you it's that voodoo book you've been researching. That stuff can seriously screw up your karma!"
Mies: "I'm sure that's it. Maybe I should write a horror novel on passive resistance instead?"
Nainen: "Uh, so don't sleep. It's your body. Anyway, your handheld tape recorder came today."
Mies: "Really? Great!"
nainen antaa nauhurin
Nainen: "I can't wait to see what human rights you violate with this one."
Mies: "I can't wait to violate them. For example, if you would just let me..." vetää henkeä hampaiden välistä
Nainen: "...aaand I located some local voodoo references for you. Dixieland Drugstore and The Historical Museum of Voodoo. Both are right here in French Quarter."
Mies: "How would I ever manage without you?"
Nainen: "You? Give me a break, the devil himself couldn't change you."
Mies: "Well, if the devil had great legs. Perhaps like yours..."
Nainen: "And a riveting personality I'm sure! Well if you need any more research done, just ask. It's not as though we're swamped with customers."

Kun ei kerran edes yhtä arvausta ole tullut, niin laitetaan toinen vihje:

Mies: "Do you know anything about snakes?"
Nainen: "Doing a family tree, Gabriel?"
Mies: "Very funny. I mean real snakes. You know--scaly, cold-blooded. I would have thought you'd find them... empathetic."
Nainen: "Mmmm-hmmm. I know very little about reptiles of any kind and prefer to keep it that way. I think there's a book on snakes around here somewhere, though."

Tässä keskustelevat samat henkilöt kuin ensimmäisessäkin dialogissa. Sen verran voin vielä helpottaa muistilokeroiden kaivelua, että ihan tuoreesta pelistä ei ole kyse vaan 90-luvun alkupuoliskolle pitää matkata. Peli ei kuitenkaan ole mikään indie-peli, vaan aikanaan hyvinkin maineikas ison budjetin tuotos.

Jep. Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers on kyseessä. Yksi edesmenneen Sierra On-Linen parhaita pelejä (tai no, paras) ja suunnittelja/käsikirjoittaja Jane Jensenin todellinen läpimurto. Ensimmäisiä todella elokuvamaisia pelejä ja ääninäyttelijäkaartista löytyykin mm. Tim Curry nimiroolista New Orleansissa asuvana tyhjäntoimittaja/kirjalija/kirjakauppias Gabriel Knightina, Mark Hamill turhantärkeänä komisaario Moselynä ja Michael Dorn voodoo-tutkija Dr. Johnina. Peli sai kaksi jatko-osaakin, "The Beast Within" ja "Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned". Jälkimmäinen voinee kiinnostaa etenkin niitä joita kiinnostaa Da Vinci-koodin aihealue.

Youtubesta löytyy pelin making-of video (vuodelta 1993):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdXSS4d1VOs (osa 1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvSxGK_qDEQ (osa 2)

Arvelinkin että kun nimen tuo esille niin joku arvaa nopeasti. Vuoro siis Kointähdelle.

Itse en Gabriel Knighteja ole koskaan pelannut, vaikka kyseessä olikin eräitä hyvän ystäväni suosikkipeleistä. Seikkailupelit kun eivät ole koskaan oikein iskeneet minuun.

Mutta sitten itse asiaan:

"Dreadful news! Scouts from the frontier report that Goblins have been heading this way, in massive numbers. We must stem this dark tide before they overrun and utterly destroy the kingdom. I suggest you put out a call for heroes - as many as we can muster - to protect out village and keep this vile swarm at bay."

Mitenkäs sitten Majesty? Siinä oli tiettyjä hankaluuksia saada mahtavia sankareita liikkeelle huvituksistaan.

Jee! Hankin tuon pelin jokin aika sitten, kun sen demo oli niin hauska. Olen kokeillut sitä vain kertaalleen. Kartalla pääsee liian nopeasti paikasta toiseen. Jos liikettä saisi hidastettua, peli olisi pelattavampi.

Pitkähkö monologi, ääni joko kauhistunutta huutamista tai epätoivoista mumisemista.

"Stay back! Stay back, you're not turning me into one of those things! I'll blow your brains out! Get away from me! GAAAAAHH! AAAAAAHH! Don't touch me, you freaks, I won't be like you, I'll die first! Find your own hiding place, the monsters are everywhere! Play dead! That's what I did... played dead. They took the live ones... oh, God, I can still hear them! [nyyhkyttää] Monsters... Ahhhhhh! Ahhhhaaahhh... JUST LEAVE ME ALONE! Sarge? Mendoza? Bisenti? Oh, God... the things took them, oh God, I can still hear them... [mumisee ja itkee] They're gone! Get it? GONE! They won't get me! Oh God... oh God I don't want to be like them, please, please no, nooo..."

Tulee nyt ensimmäisenä mieleen Left 4 Dead, vaikken peliä demoa enempää ole pelannutkaan.

No nyt on enemmän puhujia, vaikka kommunikointi onkin melko yksisuuntaista alan parhaiden perinteiden mukaisesti.

– "Men, we led those dumb bugs out to the middle of nowhere to keep 'em from gettin' their filthy claws on Earth. But, we stumbled onto somethin' they're so hot for, that they're scramblin' over each other to get it. Well, I don't care if it's God's own anti-son-of-a-bitch machine, or a giant hula hoop, we're not gonna let 'em have it! What we will let 'em have is a belly full of lead, and a pool of their own blood to drown in!" [Kääntyy ympäri] "Am I right, Marines?!!"
– "Sir, yes sir!"

Tähtien paikalla on pelin nimi.

"We can't let the monitor activate ****. We have to stop him. We have to destroy ****. According to my analyses of the available data, I believe the best course of action is somewhat... risky. An explosion of sufficient size will help destabilize the ring, and will cut through a number of primary systems. We need to trigger a detonation on a large scale, however. A starship's fusion reactors going critical would do the job. I'm going to search what's left of the Covenant battlenet, and see if I can locate the Pillar of Autumn's crash site. If the ship's fusion reactors are still relatively intact, we can use them to destroy ****."